There are countless health issues that can be remedied by chamomile tea.
Key Nutrient Facts
Chamomile tea has no fat and very little amount of calories. It also has no sugar or cholesterol. The list below contains nutritional information based on a 100-gram serving of chamomile tea. The percentage values are for a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Calorie 1
- Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 1 g
- Dietary fiber 0 g
- Carbs 0.2 g
- Potassium 9 mg
- Sugar 0 g
- Protein 0 g
Even without a lot of vitamins and minerals, chamomile tea has many benefits for the health, which you can find out more about when you read on.
1. Chamomile Tea Reduces Risk of Heart Disease
Protect your heart by making the necessary lifestyle changes.
Heart disease, which refers to conditions that affect the blood vessels and heart rhythm, can be prevented with a healthy diet consisting of foods and beverages that promote heart health .
Chamomile tea’s cardiac effects have long been investigated by scientists.
- Chamomile tea helps strengthen the heart with its hemodynamic action that promotes proper flow of blood.
Recommended Reading: 8 Health Benefits Of Jasmine Tea
2. Chamomile Tea Has Potent Anti-Cancer Properties
Cancer occurs when the cells inside the body grow out of control, and spread to other parts of the body, explains Wikipedia.
Fortunately, there are ways to reduce the risk of cancer.
Researchers discovered that chamomile has the ability to kill cancerous cells without harming the healthy ones .
- Chamomile tea is a natural way to combat cancer.
- It can help destroy the cancerous cells while keeping healthy cells intact.
3. Chamomile Tea Protects Against Diabetes
Keeping blood sugar levels in check is more important than most people realize.
Diabetes, a condition characterized by excessively high blood sugar levels, can lead to serious complications such as kidney damage, heart disease, nerve problems and hearing impairment, among others, as reported in Mayo Clinic.
Fortunately, diabetes can be managed with the help of natural remedies such as chamomile tea.
4. Chamomile Tea Can Help Control Inflammation
Medical News Today explains that inflammation is a form of “self-protection” that the body implements when there is a foreign contaminant trying to invade the system.
However, chronic inflammation can be harmful, and can lead to a number of ailments such as hay fever, rheumatoid arthritis, gum disease, heart disease and cancer.
One way to control inflammation is with chamomile tea.
A 2009 study that can be found in the Life Sciences Journal reported that chamomile inhibits the enzyme that triggers inflammation .
- Inflammation is the body’s way of protecting itself from harmful invaders but it can also cause harm in the long run.
- To protect oneself from inflammatory diseases, intake of chamomile tea is recommended.
5. Chamomile Tea Can Provide Relief for Gastric Ulcer
Have you ever experienced what it’s like to have ulcer?
If yes, then you know how painful this condition can be.
Gastric ulcer, also called peptic ulcer disease, is characterized by open sores or lesions in the stomach .
You can get immediate relief from frequent intake of chamomile tea.
6. Chamomile Tea Can Tone Down Diarrhea
Anyone who’s had an episode of diarrhea will probably agree that it’s one of the most annoying and embarrassing health issues there is.
Loose, watery and uncontrollable stools are the primary symptom of this problem .
You can get quick relief from a cup or two of chamomile tea, which according to a number of studies, can reduce duration and severity of diarrhea with its anti-inflammatory, anti-motility, and antioxidant properties [18, 19, 20].
- Get immediate relief from diarrhea by drinking chamomile tea, which is a natural anti-motility agent.
7. Chamomile Tea Can Alleviate Rosacea
Experts say that there is no cure for this condition.
However, it can be controlled and managed with natural remedies like chamomile tea.
In a study published in the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, chamomile is listed among the effective treatments for rosacea, along with lavender, oatmeal, green tea and licorice .
Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, chamomile can tone down rosacea flare-ups .
- Chamomile tea has anti-inflammatory properties that help lessen the redness and swelling caused by rosacea.
8. Chamomile Tea Has Powerful Antioxidants
To avoid this from happening, it’s important to get sufficient antioxidants.
Chamomile tea is one of the antioxidant-rich beverages that you should drink more often.
- Chamomile tea is known for its antioxidants that fight oxidative stress caused by free radical overload in the body.
9. Chamomile Tea Can Relieve Dyspepsia
To soothe your stomach and treat the symptoms of dyspepsia, try drinking a cup of chamomile tea.
In a 2007 study featured in the Pediatrics Review Journal, it was stated that chamomile is often used in combination with fennel, anise, and peppermint for treating gastrointestinal problems including dyspepsia .
- Relieve pain and discomfort caused by dyspepsia by sipping on a cup of warm chamomile tea.
10. Chamomile Can Induce Good Quality Sleep
Without enough sleep, the body can grow weak and become more susceptible to disease.
This is why, people suffering from insomnia and other sleep disorders should do something about the problem before it’s too late.
11. Chamomile Tea Can Reduce Severity of Dysmenorrhea
Dysmenorrhea refers to “painful menstruation” that causes abdominal cramps, reports Wikipedia.
Natural remedies such as chamomile tea can help alleviate the pain and discomfort it brings.
A 2010 study involving 80 students from the Toyserkan Azad University in Iran revealed that a month-long use of chamomile tea significantly reduced the pain, anxiety and distress caused by dysmenorrhea .
Another study meanwhile showed that chamomile tea is even more effective in relieving pre-menstrual syndrome compared to mefenamic acid, a popular painkiller used for dysmenorrhea .
- Chamomile tea doesn’t only relieve pain but also the anxiety, distress and other psychological symptoms caused by dysmenorrhea.
- Chamomile tea has been found to be even more effective than mefenamic acid in toning down menstrual pain.
12. Chamomile Tea Can Help Resolve Colic
Taking care of a colicky baby can be a huge challenge.
It’s a good thing there are certain natural remedies that you can use to stop your baby’s uncontrollable crying.
A clinical trial involving 68 healthy infants with colic, it was found that 57 percent of those who received chamomile herbal tea no longer had episodes of inconsolable crying .
There were no side effects that have been reported .
Potential health risk
Chamomile tea has been associated with many benefits for the health. However, caution must be exercised as it can sometimes cause anaphylactic shock, allergic reaction and contact dermatitis.
Pregnant women are not advised to take chamomile tea. Same is true for those who are taking medications such as cyclosporine and warfarin.