You are awakened with your stomach cramping, you feel bloated, you are nauseated, and you have this sudden sense of urgency to have to go to the bathroom to have a bowel movement but when you do the stools are watery and loose. You know that you have a case diarrhea starting which can last for several days. Unfortunately, you have to go to work or school the next day and cannot afford to have diarrhea so you need to find how to get rid of diarrhea quickly. In addition to those symptoms you may also have vomiting and a fever.
Having diarrhea is a common medical condition and many people will experience this a few times a year. When you have a case of diarrhea there are many different causes. The most common cause is some type of virus that infects your gut. It can also be caused by the bacteria that cause most instances of food poisoning, eating foods that upset your stomach, medications, drinking bad water, laxative abuse, diabetes, and so many others.
1. BRAT diet
This is an acronym that stands for:
- Banana—this fruit contains nutrients that your body requires for making your loose bowel movements firmer
- Rice—this food works as a filler and will help to slow down loose stool production. It can be white or brown and rice should be plain without any sauces or spices. Brown rice is the best because it contains many B vitamins that can help control the different symptoms of diarrhea.
- Applesauce—this food contains a natural bulking agent called pectin. It should also be plain with no cinnamon added. Natural is best.
- Toast—this will help your body to absorb any extra amount of stomach acid that can minimize the tendency of your stomach to overproduce acid.
When using the BRAT diet to help stop diarrhea and ease the symptoms make sure that you are eating a mixture of bland foods because they provide you with energy and low in dietary fiber. This combination will not trouble your digestive system.
2. Herbal Teas
There are many different fruits and herbs that you can make a tea from to help you get rid of the symptoms of diarrhea and get rid of diarrhea itself. You can choose one or use a variety of them on a daily basis. Make sure that you are drinking a cup of any of them at least two to three times a day.
- Blueberry—boil one cup of water with some dried blueberries crush for about ten minutes.
- Orange peel—wash an orange to make sure that you have all the pesticides off and then peel it, chopping the peel gently. Put the pieces of peel into a half cup of boiling water. Let steep for at least fifteen minutes and strain. Add some sugar or honey to sweeten it and drink when it has cooled some.
- Ginger—using fresh ginger root grate two tablespoons into two cups of water and boil. Strain, add some lemon and/honey if you want or you can drink it straight. Drink one cup to help ease the cramps that can accompany diarrhea.
- Chamomile—you can either use chamomile tea bags to make your tea or you can put in a cup of boiling water with a teaspoon of both peppermint leaves and chamomile flowers and let steep for fifteen minutes. Strain and drink this tea to help speed up your healing time.
- Blackberry—steep one a teaspoon of either dried blackberry leaves or fresh blackberries in a half cup water for a few minutes, strain, and when cool enough to drink it
3. Black seed oil
This is a type of herbal plant that can help treat your case of diarrhea. In a cup of plain yogurt mix a teaspoon of black seed oil and eat it two times a day until the symptoms are gone.
4. Apple cider vinegar
To help fight diarrhea that is caused by a bacteria use this home remedy because apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties and contains pectin that helps to soothe your intestinal spasms and acts as a protective covering.
- Mix one or two tablespoons in a glass of water and drink it a couple of times a day until your diarrhea goes away.
When you have diarrhea, you should avoid all dairy products except for yogurt. This is because yogurt contains live cultures to help your body recover from your bout of diarrhea. These live cultures are bacteria that are gut-friendly and can give your intestines a layer of protection. You can eat the yogurt or even make a smoothie out of it. Just make sure that it is plain yogurt.
In blueberries you will find an element called anthocyanosides that offer both antioxidant and antibacterial properties. Blueberries also have a high amount of soluble fiber pectin that can help to ease the symptoms.
- The best way to get all these great benefits is to chew on dried blueberries, several times each day to help kill the germs that have caused your case of diarrhea.
- For a unique dish, make a soup using dried blueberries.
Because potatoes are a starchy food they can be eaten to help combat diarrhea. Just make sure that you are not eating any spicy or fried potatoes as they can make your diarrhea worse.
- Because of your upset stomach and loosing nutrients with the watery stool, eating boiled potatoes, plain will help replace those lost nutrients along with comforting your stomach.
- You can also cook white potatoes and rice together in a lot of water until the mixture becomes thick. If there is any water left, you can drain it off, and then add a little salt and you are ready to eat.
- Mix one teaspoon of each of these powders, cumin, cinnamon, and ginger with a teaspoon of honey and take three times each day.
- Mix equal parts of lemon juice and ginger juice and then add some crushed pepper. Drink this at least three times a day to cure your diarrhea quickly.
- You can also take ginger in capsule form.
9. Keep hydrated
It is important that you help replace the fluids and nutrients that your body is losing with the loose watery stools. Drinking enough liquids will also replace the lost electrolytes. You want to make sure that you are not only drinking water but you should also be drinking clear liquids like rice or soy milk, broth, and vegetable and fruit juices but stay away from tomato or orange as these are not clear liquids. You need to drink at least eight to ten glasses of a combination of fluids every day. You can also drink clear, non-caffeine sodas like ginger ale. You can also drink a glass of water with a half teaspoon of sea salt added a couple of times a day. Include each day sports drink to help replace lost vitamins and minerals.
This vegetable is a good source of pectin, which can help to alleviate diarrhea.
- Drink fresh carrot juice several times each day to replenish lost minerals and vitamins. To sweeten the carrot juice, you can add a little honey or sugar.
- Do not eat whole raw carrots, but cook and puree them. Several times each day you should eat a half cup of puree carrots.
11. Fenugreek seeds
These seeds have a high mucilage content which is a strong anti-diarrheal property.
- You can mix a handful of these seeds into a cup of water or plain yogurt.
- You can also mix a half teaspoon of both roasted cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds with two tablespoons of yogurt, mixing well. Eat this mixture three times each day to get rid of diarrhea.
12. Use over-the-counter medications
You can also use anti-diarrheal medication to help slow down the number of loose watery stools you have. Some of these are Pepto Bismal, Kopectate, etc.