Eczema is an allergic skin disorder that is non-contagious and can have some extreme symptoms that are uncomfortable, like very dry skin that can turn red and develop itchy patches. It can also make you feel uncomfortable with how you look. Eczema can appear on any area of your body. The conventional way to treat eczema is with lotions that are rich in cortisone, steroids, and topical creams, but there are many natural home remedies that you can use instead to get rid of eczema and avoid any side effects from prescription treatments.
12 Ways to Get Rid Of Eczema
To get rid of your eczema you need to control the dryness of your skin. Instead of taking a hot shower or bath use warm water because hot water can only make your skin drier and may make the symptoms worse. Also, do not scrub your skin, but wash it gently. Any soap that you use should be all natural or has moisturizers in it like Dove, Caress, Neutrogena, or Ivory.
2. Oatmeal, Epson salt, table salt in your bath
You should try to soak in your bath for at least ten to fifteen minutes.
- Oatmeal– If you have a blender, grind some regular oats and put it in some type of muslin bag and put this bag in the warm bath. It will help ease the itching sensation. To make sure it is effective you do not want to leave your child in the water for too long. You can put the oatmeal straight into the bath water, but when you get out there may be pieces of oatmeal stuck to your body. This is why you should grind it and put it in a muslin bag.
- Epsom salt–add one to two tablespoons to your warm bath.
- Table salt–add one cup to your warm bath to help soothe your skin.
3. Taking vitamin and mineral supplements
- Vitamin E oil—this is one of the commonly used natural treatment for eczema. It has anti-oxidant properties that help to hydrate and heal your skin. Just massage a few drops of this oil into the areas affected by eczema several times a day.
- Vitamin A—this vitamin will help to boost your immune system
- Vitamin B12—it repairs your tissues and helps to oxygenate your skin, which will lead to having healthy skin.
- Vitamin B3—to also give you healthy looking skin this vitamin is essential to help absorb carbohydrates.
- Vitamin C—this vitamin is a natural immune booster and anti-histamine. It will regulate the histamine in your body without inducing any harmful effects. One thing to remember is that vitamin C cannot be stored in your body like other vitamins can so you need to make sure that you supply it every day with a supplement or foods that are rich in vitamin C.
These will help to hydrate your skin and ease skin irritations to get rid of eczema naturally.
- Omega-3 and Omega-6
- Beta carotene
It is important that you do not rely on vitamins only to give your body the daily recommended amount needed. You also need to have a healthy diet that includes foods that are rich in these important vitamins and minerals to help get rid of eczema.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
It has many nutrients that can help soothe your skin rash caused by eczema and does a lot of good inside your body to make the outside healthy.
- Add two teaspoons in eight ounces of water and drink it as many times as you want to. Because it does not have an appealing flavor you can add a little honey. Instead of water you can also use eight ounces of your favorite juice.
- Apply it directly to the problem areas after diluting some of the vinegar with water. Apply it with a clean cotton ball several times a day. It is natural to fill a little stinging sensation at first but it will go away in a few days along with the rash. If you do not like the smell of vinegar, add a few drops of essential oil such as rosemary oil.
5. Petroleum jelly and olive oil
Using petroleum jelly will help keep your skin moisturized and is the best option for children. The reason is that most of the natural body lotions on the market today could contain irritants that are not suitable for children plus most of them have some type of fragrance. After you get out of the bath towel dry your body gently but leave the skin a little wet. Apply the petroleum jelly to your body and for the best results, do this two times a day. You can also use olive oil on the scaly dry patches to help prevent the eczema rash from spreading to other parts of their body.
After bathing, apply a natural moisturizer to your skin like Virgin Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, or Aloe Vera. Natural moisturizers will help to reduce the irritation and itchiness and also works as an inflammatory. Natural moisturizers can help heal your broken skin along with a re-hydrating it. You should use natural moisturizers because they do not contain dyes or perfumes that could irritate your skin further.
7. Flaxseed and coconut oil
Mix two parts flax seed oil with one part coconut oil to make a mixture to apply to your skin at night. Before you apply anything to your eczema spots you want to clean the top surface to get rid of any dead skin cells. Wet a washcloth with hot water and rub the area in small circles gently and then let dry. Wash your hands with anti-biotic soap and then apply a thin layer of the mixture to the patches of eczema before you go to bed at night and wash it off in the morning in the shower. This oil mixture not only works on your eczema, but will also target the symptoms and you will notice results within a week. You will notice some relief from the symptoms shortly after applying it.
8. Camphor and sandalwood
To get rid of eczema mix one teaspoon of both camphor powder and sandalwood paste and then apply it in a thick layer to the scaly dry patches. After fifteen minutes, wash off with warm water and within a few days you will see improvement in your skin
9. Gamma Linolenic acids
These are a form of the essential fatty acids your body needs. Two oils that are a rich source of this acid are borage oil and evening primrose oil. This acid can help cure the inflammation of your skin by correcting the deficiencies in your body that are causing the inflammation, and in the end it will get rid of eczema
10. Ointment made from flowers
Use marigold and Calendula flowers and dry to get a powder to which you add five to six drops of both tea tree oil and lavender oil. Apply the ointment two times a day to help with the skin irritation and itchiness.
This useful bacterium helps to suppress the growth of harmful bacteria in your body. They can help cure eczema because of the allergens. The most commonly probiotic strain that is used to cure eczema is Lactobacillus GG. It has been shown in research that using Probiotics to cure eczema is better for children who have eczema, especially if it is because of food allergies.
12. Cold compresses
This is an excellent treatment to help with the itchiness of eczema and can help keep you from scratching the patches of eczema. Take a clean, soft wash cloth and dip it into water that is ice cold. Squeeze out the excess water and put it over the rashes very gently